Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Winding things up in Cameroon

My heart is overflowing with the events of the last two days.
On Sunday I preached at Ruth's church, the Evangelical Reformed Church. Sam had preached in January. For awhile it looked like I was not going to have my chance because of the multi-week celebration of the ordination of the young pastor who has been an intern here for several years. But then this last Sunday opened up.  Providentially, the Gospel lesson according to the lectionary was the Samaritan Woman at the Well. When it was thought that I might preach in February I had thought I would use this lesson and here it was the appointed reading for the day worldwide!

The women's group of which Ruth is a part -- and which I have enjoyed so much here -- was thrilled. They prepared two very special songs. One, "Toi le femme" (You the woman), is the song of the synod-wide women's group. It affirms the place of women before God and offers praise of God. In one verse it says that once we were slaves but then . . . and now we are in the pulpit. They sang this as I climbed the steps into the high pulpit that towers over everybody. In the chorus when "Toi the femme" is sung three times, they all point at another woman, so I pointed at women in the congregation, here, there, and far in the back. It was great fun.

I'll post my sermon shortly. It was translated by a lovely woman who had been educated in England.  I started out by summarizing my experiences here including the celebration of International Women's Day. I said I hoped for the day when we didn't need a special day to affirm women because they would be free to become all God meant them to be, and thus would be affirmed every day. But alas, that day has not come. I summarized the exploitation of women here and around the world which led me into the discussion of the Woman at the Well, a woman who probably had few options open to her and had had to get by somehow. Most to the point, I talked about how open she was to Jesus and to facing her sin -- a suitable theme for Lent, I might add. And then this woman became the first evangelist.

The sermon was very well received. I received positive feedback as I greeted people at the back of the church and at the luncheon following. But the most amazing feedback came last night, Monday night, at women's group. Ruth hosted the group here at her house and the attendance was grand. First they had their usual Bible study. Two of the women prepare the study each week. These women's preparation was impressive and the discussion was lively.

Then one of the women arose to speak to me on behalf of the group. Of course it was in French, but I got the sense of it.  I wish I had it on my video camera so I could listen again! Basically she said it was no small thing for me to have stayed with my friend for three months and to do all I have done. She said I should remember that when I return I should remember that I'm not visiting just one friend, but many friends. Most touching of all, she said that I had not mounted the stairs of the pulpit all alone but that in doing so I had elevated all women.

I was very touched. Praise God. What a day! Perhaps even some of the women will visit us in Arizona.

The day after tomorrow I will get on the plane to fly home. Needless to say I am very excited about re-joining Sam there, about seeing all the pets and the home remodeling that has been going on there, and the parish. But I will shed tears. Ruth and I treasure our friendship even more than we ever have -- if that is possible -- and praise God for the magnificent gift that it is to each of us and, we pray, to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment